Communications and Engagement Specialist, Decorah, Iowa
Winneshiek Energy District (WED) is a northeast Iowa public benefit corporation located in Decorah, Iowa. We lead, implement, and accelerate the locally-owned clean energy transition, through strategies including technical energy planning, market transformation, community engagement, and policy advocacy. We are about “green meets green”: universal clean energy prosperity + climate stewardship. We have a small staff that includes a Director and a Lead Energy Planner (technical) in addition to this listed position. As founder of the Energy District movement, we have led the development of the Clean Energy Districts of Iowa organization, and partner closely with our clean energy colleagues throughout Iowa and beyond. WED is looking for an experienced communications and community engagement professional and leader to join our team in Decorah, Iowa, beginning summer/fall 2023. This position is at least three-quarter time (0.75FTE) with potential for full time depending upon funding. We are looking for a mid to senior level professional, and intend salary to be competitive and commensurate with experience. Position includes health insurance benefit; generous vacation, holiday, flex, and parental leave; and retirement plan contributions. Our offices are in beautiful downtown Decorah, though we offer a significant degree of workplace and schedule flexibility. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making the world a better place.
● Lead WED communications and community engagement efforts, including the web site, social media, the monthly newsletter, media liaising, and program/service marketing
● Lead grant proposal writing and development, and coordinate WED’s annual membership drive
● Manage events, including monthly energy breakfasts, annual solar and/or EV fairs, and additional event planning through the year
● Lead the staff and board in developing and implementing a strategic communications plan including general marketing and branding, earned media, social media, and more
● Follow the evolution of the energy world, investigate and implement opportunities for community engagement, support other WED projects and personnel as necessary
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE IS:
● A strong writer and communicator with the ability to synthesize and convey complex ideas and policies in a clear and compelling way (grant-writing is important)
● A people person, skilled at interpersonal communication, group dynamics, volunteer management, and supervision
● A creative thinker, collaborative team member, and independent worker
● Passionate about WED’s mission of locally-led, locally-owned clean energy transition
● A skilled time manager with the ability to manage both long- and short-term deadlines, and the capacity to change focus based on organizational needs
● At least five years of experience in communications, community engagement, grant writing, and membership/development
● A bachelor’s degree or higher
● Understanding and engagement with community development, change-making local institutions, and the broader technological, economic, social and political spheres of the
clean energy transition underway today
WED is an equal opportunity employer, and deeply committed to an inclusive society and workplace. We encourage all seriously interested people to apply.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter addressed to Andy Johnson, résumé, and two communications samples reflecting your original work to firstname.lastname@example.org. The samples should be no longer than 1,000 words each (excerpts of longer pieces are welcome). Please submit all of these materials as a single PDF. The subject line of the email should say “Application for Communications and Engagement Specialist.” Applications will be reviewed as received. Check WED’s website for updated information.