Job Description: Full-Time
Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum seeks a Folk Art Education Program Coordinator – Digital Learning who will provide support for Vesterheim Folk Art School. The Folk Art Education Program Coordinator will assist in promoting the folk-art program through digital learning and outreach initiatives, managing class and event registrations, facilitating digital platforms and equipment used by these programs, and helping build audiences through digital and outreach programming. This is a full-time position with a flexible schedule including some weekends and evenings.
Reports to: Director of Folk Art Education
- A Bachelor’s Degree in art, art education, education, or closely related field, or comparable work experience.
- A high degree of comfort with technology and data management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills working with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Zoom, and Shopify
- Willingness and flexibility to work some weekends or evenings
- Enjoys working with the public
Desired Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree in art, art education, or education (or comparable work experience) with two or more years of experience working in a museum and/or educational setting performing duties related to scheduling, coordinating, publicizing, and evaluating public programs. An appreciation of Scandinavian handcraft and/or Scandinavian history. Teaching experience is a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Folk Art Education Administrative Assistant to manage the class or event registrations for digital and outreach programs. Build course registration pages; monitor and manage registrations; maintain the Folk Art School database for digital programs; track wait list and communicate with those on wait list; compose and send class information, confirmations, and cancellations; and work closely with the accounting department to track and balance class payments.
- Prepare for upcoming digital and outreach classes or events. Secure necessary information from instructors or presenters to prepare promotional materials, coordinate reservations and communication for Zoom-hosted events, prepare class materials, collect supply or kit content lists from instructors, coordinate and prepare sending supplies to students with Museum Store staff.
- Act as staff liaison for Vesterheim Folk Art School digital and outreach programs. Deliver welcome and orientation for instructors and students, provide overview of safety and emergency procedures (if necessary), monitor and share daily routines of classes with supervisor, and provide assistance as needed. Often classes or events are offered over weekends or evenings for increased accessibility. Coverage of weekend classes or events will be shared with the Folk Art Team.
- Assist the Director of Folk Art Education with promotion and events. Support Vesterheim’s Communications & Marketing staff with content for marketing and promotional materials for digital learning and outreach programs, collect instructor biographies for the publication (class catalog and website), communicate any canceled or added classes or events for website, provide support and prepare materials for all digital and off-site outreach programs.
- Assist the Director of Folk Art Education in building a robust roster of online and outreach programs for adults and youth. Help the department build new audiences through new platforms and models, making connections to our history and collection, driven by our mission and vision.
Skills and Competencies:
- Possesses outstanding phone/video conferencing, writing, and email skills
- Able to work with social media to promote Vesterheim’s programs
- Have a level of comfortability hosting lectures or other public programs
- Able to work as part of a team with fellow staff members
- Willingness to make connections out in the field to engage new audiences
For Questions: Contact Tammy Carolan, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 563-382-9681 with questions on the job description and related salary and benefits. Find information about Vesterheim benefits here (pdf).
Review of resumes will begin immediately.
To Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references to email@example.com or mail to:
Tammy Carolan, Human Resources Administrator
Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum
P.O. Box 379
Decorah, IA 52101
Vesterheim is an EOE/AA.