Job Type: Full-time, Part-time
Our in-house deli has evolved over the years. These days we’re focusing on our signature sandwiches, salads, entrees, and desserts. Our Deli Production Staff are responsible for tasks such as sandwich, entrée, bakery, and salad prep and production, slicing and portioning meats and cheese, portioning salad and entrée items for sale, washing dishes, and maintaining the cleanliness of the Deli kitchen and counter spaces. And if you happen to be working the counter on any particular day, you’ll find ample opportunity to interact with customers and create signature sandwiches by request as well as keeping our hot sandwiches plentiful for easy grab-n-go. Typical shifts in our Deli kitchen include 6:30 am to 2:30 pm, 8 am to 4 pm, 9 am to 5 pm, or 10 am to 6 pm. Our Deli is open 7 days a week and cold grab-n-go options are available anytime the Co-op is open. Our made-to-order sandwiches are available daily from 11 am to 2 pm. You’ll find yourself working together as a Deli team to keep options plentiful whether it’s grab-n-go or made-to-order. And if you love to be in your home kitchen or preparing a meal to entertain others, we bet you’ll enjoy this too. It’s not a high-stress kitchen, but it is high-production.
All OCC staff are responsible for providing welcoming, friendly, helpful, and non-judgmental customer service to all shoppers and co-workers in accordance with our organizational goals and programs.
Position Minimum Wage:
Part Time (up to 29.99 hours/week) $14.75/hr
Full Time (30+ hours/week) $14.75/hr
DELI PRODUCTION STAFF – JOB DESCRIPTION:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains familiarity with all areas of the store to best assist customers and staff.
- Upholds the Code of Conduct, using T.H.I.N.K. (True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, and Kind)
- Always use S.E.T. (Smile, Engage and Thank You) in all customer interactions.
- Become familiar with the Co-op mission, Ends, and policies to answer customer questions. Refer unresolved questions or problems to appropriate staff.
- Preparation and production of various items – including but not limited to salads, sandwiches, entrees, dips, spreads, and desserts.
- Slicing meats and cheeses
- Attending to customers at the Deli counter and assisting with made-to-order and hot sandwiches.
- Efficient recipe following and multi-tasking for high quality food production.
- Ensuring various cases are sufficiently stocked – including bakery case, grab-n-go case, and hot slide.
- Always keeping a clean and sanitary workspace.
- Operating various kitchen equipment with safety and proficiency.
- Record keeping using POS system and production logs.
- Washing dishes as needed.
- Closing kitchen duties—including cleaning and shutting down equipment for the day.
- Participating in regular staff meetings and/or trainings.
- Complete production tasks in a timely manner.
- Ensure signage is correct, attractive, and informative.
- Ensure that department areas (aisles, shelves, bins, and storage areas) are kept in clean and orderly condition.
- Perform opening and/or closing duties for the Prepared Foods department.
- Use equipment safely. Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures. Advise appropriate parties of equipment problems.
- Always stock product—timely, accurately, rotated, and attractive.
- Correct price discrepancies according to established policies.
- Understand record keeping in the POS system.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision but possess excellent team skills.
- Willingness and ability to grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
- Understand the cooperative principles and business model.
- Respond to challenging situations in a positive and professional manner.
- Demonstrate regular, predictable work attendance and communicate to the supervisor, department manager, and/or GM any work schedule changes.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to cooperate and communicate with co-workers and/or outside contacts in a timely and appropriate manner.
- High School diploma preferred.
- Culinary experience—including knife skills—preferred.
- Willingness and ability to learn to meet the changing requirements of the job.
- Basic computer skills
- Competent math and reasoning skills.
Physical Skills Required
- Ability to stand and/or sit, walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, mouse, telephone.
- Ability to lift and carry between 20–50 pounds frequently.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, reach above shoulder height, and climb stairs/ladders occasionally.
- Ability to use fine motor skills for typing, grasping, and manipulating objects with fingers.
- Ability to write or type and complete checklists in written or digital format.
- Ability to read and interpret small print and alphanumeric product codes.
- Ability to work nights, weekend and non-business hour shifts as required.
Specific Skills and Experience
- Basic knife skills.
- Utilizes and follows recipes.
- Basic computer skills.
- Competent math and reasoning skills.
- Experience serving the public.
- Attention to detail and accuracy—and good organizational abilities.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work under time pressures.
- Ability to project a friendly, outgoing, and calm personality.
- Ability to be flexible and to adapt to changing conditions quickly.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Familiarity with natural foods, nutrition, and cooking.
- Experience working with diverse groups.
General Employee Expectations
- Remain highly productive to meet priorities and goals
- Maintain a safe work environment (e.g., Enforce safety protocols, address hazards, reduce clutter, take preventative measures, and provide training).
- Follow OCC policies and procedures and Customer Service standards.
- Follow teamwork guidelines including: Communicating changes with department staff using the systems provided; proactively engage in dialogs to improve department and store performance, as well as the daily experience of customers and staff.
- Maintain professional standards, i.e., punctuality, neatness, pleasant helpful manner.
- In addition to the general attendance standards, must work as needed to fulfill needs of department (e.g., days, evenings, and weekends), as needed.
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned by Prepared Foods Manager, Prepared Foods Assistant Manager, General Manager, and/or Manager on Duty.
- Frequently performs work in a retail grocery store environment.
- Works in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, frozen or hot parking lot, hot kitchen, etc.)
- Utilizes carts, box cutters, knives, dish washer, pallet jacks.
- Utilizes multiple systems of communication.
- May sit or stand depending on the work.
- May encounter hazardous materials within the scope of store.
- Moderate to loud noise level.